Ringette Equipment Information:
NOTE: The information on this page is provided as a convenience to our members and to those who are new to ringette. While the information is believed to be correct, it is only infrequently reviewed and we cannot guarantee that all details are current. In the event of any discrepancies between the information on this page and any rules or notices published by ORA or Ringette Canada, the information in those publications will prevail. The current Ringette Canada Rulebook is available and should be consulted if any questions arise.
When purchasing ringette equipment, consider these two important details:
- Make certain the player is adequately protected and
- be sure the fitting allows freedom of movement so the player can properly perform the necessary skills; the player will be more comfortable and will better enjoy the game.
A complete set of ringette equipment can be purchased for a relatively reasonable cost. Shop around for the best values: you do not need to buy the most expensive equipment. For example, the Mississauga Ringette Association offers an Equipment Rental Program for new players . There are also many discount sports stores in the Mississauga/ Milton/ Brampton area that buy and sell used equipment. Just keep in mind that the equipment must fit properly to provide maximum protection.
- Helmet - CSA Approved. One of your most important purchases: only a CSA approved helmet is allowed and it must be sized at the time of purchase to fit properly. The chin strap must always be fastened. There are several types of helmets available which offer different levels of protection against injury.
- Facial protector (i.e. Ringette face mask) - CSA Approved Type 5 or Type 6. Cages must be for ringette: Hockey cages are not allowed. There are specific combinations of CSA certified helmets and facial protectors that are permissible in Ringette. Please check these out to ensure you have the correct combination!!
- Elbow pads (the same type as used in Hockey). Must be properly fitted so that they do not slide. Measure the length between the shoulder and the cuff of the glove and match the player's measurement size to the size of the elbow pad in inches. When fastened securely, there should be no gap between the pad and either the biceps extension of the shoulder pad or the cuff of the glove. Players who wear a short cuff styled glove should choose the longer model of the elbow pad.
- Gloves (the same type as used in Hockey). Check for proper fit, with good finger and hand mobility.
- Ringette pants: with a Ringette girdle OR Hockey pants: with Hockey socks and straps/tape to hold socks up
- Pelvic protection ("Jill Strap") if wearing Hockey pants, or not part of Ringette girdle
- Shin guards Check for proper length so they protect the knee and shin completely: shin guards are best fitted while the player is sitting. To fit properly, measure from the centre of the knee cap to the top of the skate boot and match the player's shin measurement to the size of the shin guard. Shin guards should be secured with proper shin guard straps.
- Skates (the same type as used in Hockey) The other most important purchase: skates that will fit the player today, with no more than 1/2" allowed for growth. Ensure that there is adequate protection in the ankle, toe and instep areas. Improperly fitted skates will hamper the player's ability to skate.
- Shoulder pads/chest protector. Adjust to fit the individual at the time of purchase. Measure the player's chest just below the arm pits and match the player's chest measurement to the shoulder pad size in inches. A fiber cap is extremely important in preventing shoulder separations and should extend to the tip of the shoulder.
- BNQ Neck Guard regular or with collar
- Jersey: two are provided by the MRA for games; players should have (at least) one for practices
- Ringette stick
- Mouth guard: Recommended to reduce the risk of concussions. Not currently mandated by Ringette Ontario or Ringette Canada rules but mandatory under the NCRRL and LERQ league rules. single or double.
PLEASE NOTE: when choosing outer equipment, you might want to keep in mind that the MRA colours are navy blue and gold.
FOR THE GOALKEEPER Special equipment is necessary for the goalkeeper, such as: gloves (catching and stick), chest and stomach protector, goalie skates (with protective shell), leg pads, shoulder and arm protectors. The goaltender's equipment is especially important, so seek advice from a knowledgeable source.
SOME TIPS AND COMMENTS :
•Keep your equipment DRY! This is the most important thing you can do to extend the life of your ringette equipment. Particular attention should be placed on skates and gloves as these items receive the most damage from excess moisture.
•Use skate guards only when transporting your skates. Most skate guards have a tendency to collect moisture which can cause your skate blades to rust.
•To prevent rust build-up in your helmet loosen and re-tighten screws about once a month.
•To clean clear plastic face shields (e.g. Itech or Cooper Shields) use mild non-abrasive detergent such as dish soap and soft cloth, or Itech approved cleaners only.
•Most ringette protective equipment can be washed if the following precautions are taken:
- Remove all plastic foam pieces if possible.
- Use warm water cycle if there are no plastic or foam pieces, use cold water cycle for pieces with foam or plastic.
- Use only drum type washing machine or bathtub soaking. Do not use spindle type washing machines.
•To lessen wear and tape ball-up on goal sticks, tape stick twice. For bottom layer use black tape toe to heel and for upper layer use black or white tape heel to toe.
•To lessen friction between goal stick and stick glove, sand shaft with fine sandpaper or emery cloth, and rub in a light layer of floor paste wax.
•To lessen goal stick vibration at index finger; add 2 wraps of tape 2" down from top of paddle.
•All goalies should keep a small screwdriver and spare buckles and toe straps for emergency repairs
Ringette Equipment info:
Click for details information about the Ringette equipment ...
Ringette Equipment Rental Program